mirror mirror on the wall, please give me a frame!

I saw this done on a bunch of sites including House of Smiths, they have a great tutorial: here is the
actual link to the frame tutorial. House of Smiths Frame Tutorial

Bathroom Mirror FrameBathroom Mirror Frame
1. first, you will need:
wood glue
molding (4 pieces cut to fit your frame-you can do this at home depot, they have a cutting center where you can cut it yourself for free)
liquid nails
spray paint 
dry putty 
sand paper

I first used the wood glue and glued each corner at a time. I would hold it in place while my husband taped it down onto the cardboard also so that it wouldn't move while it dried. 
Bathroom Mirror Frame
Bathroom Mirror Frame
next I put some dry putty on the crease just to cover it up and make it look less noticeable. Other places that I've seen this done, didn't paint it after but I had a hard time covering up the crease and dry putty well enough so I decided to paint it white with spray paint. It also gave it a nice shine. 
Bathroom Mirror Frame

Bathroom Mirror Frame
last, I used liquid nails to put it directly on the mirror. This is definitely a new man job. I held it in place while my husband taped it down and gave it time to dry. We let it dry for about 24 hours before it was complete. I also should mention-I sanded mine down a bit with sand paper. I did some of it before I glued it to the mirror and some of it after, just to give it a distressed look. 
Bathroom Mirror Frame

Bathroom Mirror Frame

Bathroom Mirror Frame









 Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

7 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Kathryn, your frame came out great! Lots of work but so worth it - the end look is really custom. I was just looking for a mirror for my bathroom today and didn't see anything as nice as yours!

Emily said...

Love the framed mirror! It really makes the mirror look finished and high end.
-emily
nestnestingnested.blogspot

Unknown said...

Way to go mama!!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Thanks for the sweet comment about our crocheted wall arts :) I've been a follower already and hope you'll join us again at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop this Sunday.

Jenna said...

Wow that looks awesome! I wish I had a house (we rent) so I could do that to my mirrors. Great job!

Megan Gunyan said...

Looks FANTASTIC! Your method was definitely easier than mine! I'm still waiting to paint over the wood putty! (Gotta put that on my to-do list before I forget again!) Great job!

Lisa {grey luster girl} said...

I have been wanting to do this for so long! You have given me the motivation! I am going to do it!!

AddThis